Monday, March 21, 2022

Old Movies With Kids: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Over the weekend we showed the kids the classic 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I hadn't seen this one before and I wasn't particularly excited about it, but I'm happy to say I think we finally found one that my son likes!


This is the first Kirk Douglas movie I've ever seen, but I think we can all agree that Peter Lorre is the best part of this movie. I mean, isn't he the best part of any movie he's in? Yes. Nonetheless, all the characters were interesting and the story was exciting and kept everyone's attention.

Also, this is basically the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. There's a boozy, kind of obnoxious sailor with a theme song, an island with cannibals, and, most importantly, a rockin' captain who clearly has deeply buried emotional issues and dramatically plays the organ instead of expressing his feelings. (My husband would like me to mention that the organ from this movie is currently in the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland. So ... there ya go.)

From the kids

3 stars - It was a little weird. Not my favorite movie. Not enough girls in it. - 10 year old girl

3 stars - 5 year old girl

4 stars. Good. - 8 year old boy

Kids' favorite moments:

The giant squid fight was a favorite across the board!

Explosions and fighting, specifically when Peter Lorre and Kirk Douglas were punching each other in the face. Hilarious!

Kirk Douglas's turtle guitar, especially when he stuffed jewelry in it. I have no recollection of this part!

No comments: