Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Old Movies With Kids: In the Good Old Summertime

In honor of Judy Garland's 100th birthday, I made the family watch In the Good Old Summertime. I've written about this movie a number of times, but it had been some years since I've watched it. 

This one just never disappoints. It has humor, songs, romance, excessive arm flapping.  What more can you ask for?

It's also right in the middle of one of the best trifecta movie remake series...es in history.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids were lukewarm on it. It unfortunately is missing some of the bigger song and dance numbers we get in most Judy movies, except for the arm flapping in I Don't Care which always made me laugh as a kid and did the same for my own kids!

From the Kids:

10 year old girl: 3 stars

8 year old boy: 1 star

5 year old girl: 4 stars

As usual, my son did not enjoy this movie as he is determined to reject ALL old movies except Singin' in the Rain.

The girls liked the songs, especially the one when Judy plays the harp.

They also got a kick out of Van Johnson's made-up unattractive Newspickle fellow.



1 comment:

Along These Lines ... said...

Can’t go wrong with a Van Johnson movie.