Monday, May 7, 2007

My Brush with Fame

I really can't say that I've ever met anyone famous, but this is about as close as I've come so far.

Last October, a movie theater in the area (the same one Shirley Jones was at) hosted a Hitchock festival. I was pretty excited, of course. The first night they showed Vertigo and Hitchcock's daughter was there to answer questions and whatnot before the movie. She also was signing autographs, if you really wanted Alfred Hitchcock's daughter's autograph.

Anyway, the second night was a bit more eventful; they showed The Birds, and Tippi Hedren was there, along with Veronica Cartwright who played the little girl in the movie. They were out in the lobby signing autographs and doing their thing before the movie started.

We sat down in the theater and I went to the ladies' room before the movie started. It was pretty empty in the rest room, except for one other person in a stall. When I came out to wash my hands, standing at the sink next to me was none other than Veronica Cartwright! Here's a transcript of our conversation:

Veronica Cartwright: Hi
Me: Hi
(washing hands)
(I try to get the stupid automatic paper towel dispenser to work, to no avail)
Veronica Cartwright: This one works.(referring to the automatic paper towel dispenser on her side)
Me: Thanks, these things never work right.

Yes, it was that exciting. I later realized she was the sister of the girl who played Brigitta in The Sound of Music, Angela Cartwright (I knew she looked familiar!), which kind of made it more exciting. But not really.

Her and Tippi both seemed very nice and pleasant and had lots of interesting things to say about Hitchcock and movies in general.

1 comment:

KL said...

Just found your site...right up my alley. I, too, should have been born in another era. I enjoyed your Hitchcock story, and I'll keep reading. I live in Los Angeles...but I'm from the midwest (Omaha, Nebraska) Came to L.A. for work.

My blog is at:
http://travelhollywood.blogspot.com

Come visit!