Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bond, James Bond

Well, I experienced my first James Bond film last weekend, Goldfinger. It was fabulous. And I realized what a tragedy it is that I've not seen any James Bond films until now.

Yes, it's incredibly corny, but that's the fun part. Plus he has all kinds of fun 60's gadgets, including a rather primitive GPS system. And I had already seen the Mythbusters James Bond special, so I was pleased to finally get to see their inspiration.

I'm guessing that all the Bond films are pretty similar, but in this one, James is attempting to stop a certain Mr. Goldfinger from stealing the country's gold. There are a number of car chases, lots of explosions, and a couple deaths-by=hat. And along the way, James makes out with every single blond girl he runs into. One of them gets painted gold because of him and his skanky ways. That was the best part. I started to have trouble telling the difference between the women, they basically all looked the same, but it didn't seem to cause a problem. They're really just there for James to make out with and then they die so he can meet a new one.

In the end, it was silly and over the top and completely unbelievable, but beyond entertaining. And the song during the opening titles sung by a crazy 60's lady with excessive vibrato was fantastic! I definitely need to see some more Bond films!

No comments: