Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Top Ten Gene Kelly Dance Numbers

 


On this, the day of Gene Kelly's birth, I was surprised to find I have never dedicated an entire post to this dreamy dancer. Sure, I've written about him in many posts on other topics, but it's time he gets his very own!

Gene Kelly was one of the first classic stars I was introduced to as a young child. My grandma showed For Me and My Gal to my cousins and I and we were hooked! It's hard to beat a good Gene Kelly dance number. He's handsome and athletic and everything you could want.

So without further ado, here are my top ten Gene Kelly dance numbers.

10. The Worry Song from Anchors Aweigh. Dancing with cartoon Jerry, pretty impressive.

9. You Wonderful You from Summer Stock. When he's dancing by himself in the barn with the newspaper.

Gene Kelly and his newspaper

8. Good Morning from Singin' in the Rain. Beware: There's going to be a lot of Singin' in the Rain in this list.

7. Singin' in the Rain from Singin' in the Rain. Obviously.

6. For Me and My Gal from For Me and My Gal. Those two are so cute together.

4. Moses Supposes from Singin' in the Rain.

3. Broadway Melody from Singin' in the Rain. Specifically, the part with Cyd Charisse in the green dress. When he flips his head back and knocks his hat off? It never gets old.

2. Ballin' the Jack from For Me and My Gal. This was always my favorite as a kid and I still love watching it!

1. The Portland Fancy from Summer Stock. I realize this may be an unconventional choice, but it's the best. Deal with it.

Gene Kelly & Judy Garland Portland Fancy



No comments: