This morning, my mother alerted me to something very exciting: LIFE magazine on Google books. That's right, there's literally 35 years of LIFE magazine sitting there for the reading, many with some fabulous movie articles. The most important ones are, of course, the two Judy Garland issues, one from 1944 and one from 1954. The July 1969 issue also offers a "A Farewell to Judy." They also covered stories about Judy's "comeback," Judy falling over on stage in 1951, and check out this makeup ad that teaches you how to "have that lovely kind of Judy Garland complexion," complete with marginal notes by Judy herself!
Or if you're not obsessed with Judy Garland for some reason, there are plenty of other very cool LIFE issues:
- If you're in a Halloween mood, check out this cool Hitchcock cover, and this interesting article on 3-D movies including House of Wax.
- Frank Sinatra looking dashing as always.
- Marilyn Monroe and lots of fun pictures from Some Like It Hot.
- The Beatles causing a ruckus!
- And possibly my favorite of them all, Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady.