Tuesday, March 8, 2022

My Top 5 Spirit Characters

After watching Yours, Mine, and Ours last week and relating a little too closely to incessantly hungry Susan Beardsley, it got me thinking about my other spirit characters. Spoiler alert: they are not the leading ladies. I'm just not leading lady material.

Here are my top 5, though I'm sure there are many more!

1. Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn in The Music Man - The first time I laid eyes on this woman I knew she was everything I wanted to be in life. Honorable mention for Mayor Shinn who I also can't help but love. I mean,

Mrs. Shinn: Now, George!

Mayor Shinn: Not one poop out of you, Madame!

Mrs. Shinn: I think he means "peep"

Mayor Shinn: Yes!

2. Susan Beardsley from Yours, Mine, and Ours - As the inspiration for this list, it's only right that she's at the top. This girl does not miss an opportunity to stuff her face full of food. She's the best.

3. Miss Torso in Rear Window

    Ways she is NOT like me: She's fit enough to prance around baring her torso. She has an entourage of men courting her.

    Ways she IS like me: She's eating in every scene she's in. She ends up with the nice, nerdy fellow.

4. Agnes Smith from Meet Me In St. Louis - This is the often-overlooked second youngest daughter in the Smith family. She has a taste for chaos but nobody notices because they're too focused on Tootie being a drama queen.

5. Marjorie Main in Judy Garland movies (The Harvey Girls, Summer Stock, Meet Me in St. Louis) - I'm grouping these together since they're basically all the same character. She's a no-nonsense lady who accepts the fact that she's always a servant and likes to mess with everyone.


Who are your spirit characters?

No comments: