Monday, February 28, 2022

Old Movies With Kids: Yours, Mine, and Ours - A.K.A. The Girl Who Ate Too Much

This week I subjected my children to one of my childhood favorites, Yours, Mine and Ours. I haven't watched this movie since I was a kid so I was pretty excited to watch it with them.

You know how sometimes you watch a movie that you haven't seen since you were a kid, and you realize there were a bunch of sex jokes that went over your head? Yeah, that happened. I suppose I can't call them sex jokes--maybe just innuendo. Very mild innuendo, but innuendo nonetheless. Mostly delivered by Van Johnson's character who's constantly trying to convince his widower buddy Frank (Henry Fonda) that he needs some lovin'. His hard work and determination pay off when Frank meets Helen (Lucille Ball) and they quickly get married and merge their two very large families.

The reason I liked this movie as a kid was primarily because of my love for Lucy who is, of course, delightful and funny while still delivering some touching moments with her kids and husband. The kids got a kick out of her slapstick moments--drunk Lucy never disappoints!

One of the unexpectedly best parts of this movie was my spirit character, Susan Beardsley, who makes sure to eat at every opportunity. I truly appreciate how vigilant they were with continuing this gag throughout the movie. This girl does not stop eating--even the rice she was supposed to be throwing at her father's wedding isn't safe from her insatiable appetite. She's amazing.

From the Kids

4 out of 5 stars - 10 year old girl

4.5 out of 5 stars - 5 year old girl (docked a half star because she took a break to play Monopoly Jr. with her brother and missed some parts of the movie.)

2.5 out of 5 stars - 8 year old boy

Kids' favorites moments:

When Lucy got drunk. I had to do a bit of explaining about alcohol and its effects and how much the kids were putting into her drink, but once it got going the kids all thought it was very funny.

When they got married.

The 10 year old like the drama of the daughter and her boyfriend fighting in the living room at the end. I don't know what this means for her teenage years.

The girls liked when they had the baby at the end and suggested that we have another baby. (NO)


No comments: