Sunday, April 3, 2022

Old Movies With Kids: Oklahoma!

After celebrating Shirley Jones on her birthday the other day, I was in the mood for a Shirley movie. The Music Man is always a favorite, but it had been so long since I'd watched Oklahoma, it was time for a viewing. Also nobody else in my family had seen it before!

Guys, I enjoyed this movie so much. Maybe it's just because I haven't been watching musicals at the rate I once did pre-kids, but it made me so happy. The songs are all winners, the characters are entertaining, and it's just a good time!

You know what this movie loves? Sexual innuendo! Good thing my kids are too young to pick up on any of it. In a movie that could feel so old fashioned and traditional, it's refreshing that the women have moments of both strength and weakness and don’t always fill traditional female roles.

I especially loved the line at the end when Laurey is lamenting her traumatic wedding night and Aunt Eller wisely tells her, "Oh, lots of things happen to folks." So simple and so true!

But you know what's super weird? When Curly suggests that Judd kill himself and sings a song about it. I mean...what? Is this something people do? I get it that Judd is a creep but this very unveiled attempt to convince him to hang himself is a little excessive. I'd probably try to stab Curly with my naughty girly knife toy too.

Why you tryna kill me?
Why you tryna kill me?

From the kids

Unfortunately, my kids weren't super into this movie. I'm not sure they knew half of what was going on which might be a good thing.

10 year old girl - 3.5 stars

8 year old boy - 0 stars. Too much kissing

5 year old girl - 3 stars

The girls liked the songs and especially loved the wedding, but that was about all any of them seemed to get out of it! My 10 year old and I very much enjoyed the sing-a-long feature on the DVD. 

Sooo this might not be one that we watch again for awhile, but I think we are going to be watching musicals for our next few films because they’re just the best! My son will be thrilled.


No comments: