Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Next Voice You Hear...

Last week I was incessantly flipping through my many cable channels, finding nothing interesting, as usual. I finally landed on my very favorite channel, TCM...they never let me down. They happened to be showing this crazy movie called The Next Voice You Hear...

I came in about a half hour into it, so I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but I couldn't stop watching! I was first intrigued by the woman in it who was acting as if she was going into labor but was strangely thin for a pregnant woman. I can only deduce that it was apparently indecent for a women to look pregnant on screen. Oh, the fifties. She also looked rather familiar, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I looked it up and found it was Nancy Reagan (Nancy Davis at that time). It was definitely my first Nancy Reagan movie...kinda strange.

Anyway, from what I could tell when I started watching, the story was revolving around a very stereotypical 50's type family consisting of pregnant mom, kind of boring dad and adolescent son. One evening while everyone was huddled around their radio, God broke in precisely at 8pm with a special message for mankind. He began to broadcast every night at 8, and the townspeople (along with the entire world, apparently) listened each night in anticipation. Most of them were just confused, but some thought it was the end of the world and proceeded to freak everyone else out with their crazy antics. It was basically a mix between Leave it to Beaver and The Twilight Zone.

I won't spoil the end for you in case there's any chance that you might watch it some day, which is unlikely. But just in case, I'll keep it to myself. It's definitely worth a watch, if only for it's painfully stereotypical 50's feel with a sort of failed attempt at being creepy. And also Nancy Reagan.

No comments: