Monday, January 28, 2008

The Pajama Game

Let’s be honest, this is not a great movie. First, Doris Day’s hair is atrocious. Second, John Raitt may have been successful in stage musicals, but he’s really not a looker. Third, most of the songs in this movie are extremely lame. Hey There? Possibly the cheesiest song ever made. And the one they sing at the picnic is so bad I can’t even remember the name.

But what can we expect? How good can a movie about union pajama factory workers be? And the main character’s name is Babe. I realize this movie was made about 40 years a go, but watching it today, that name only conjures up images of an annoying talking pig.

The film’s main redeeming quality happens to be one of the non-lame songs: Hernando’s Hideaway. Ok, it’s a lame song. But at least it’s lame and awesome. Also, it will still be stuck in your head for days after you watch the movie. And you won’t be able to remember all the words so you’ll make up some of your own. All the qualities of a perfect song.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate this movie. I actually kind of like it. It’s one of those movies you can watch over and over and completely make fun of every time. It keeps your mind sharp. I would recommend watching it if you’re so inclined, but be prepared for extreme cheesiness and really terrible Doris Day hair.

1 comment:

Claymation said...

Hey...I think that you should lay off of the pig...I love that little guy..."That'll do pig...that'll do"