Friday, January 4, 2008

Star!

I watched this movie awhile back, but never got around to writing about it. It's based on the life of Gertrude Lawrence who I'd heard of but didn't really know anything about. It stars Julie Andrews and is directed by Robert Wise, the same fella that directed The Sound of Music. I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Anyway, Julie Andrews plays Gertrude who, as it turns out, is basically a whore, though they can't say that explicitly seeing as this movie was made in 1968. But we know what they're gettin' at. The movie simply follows Gertrude's life, comprised primarily of acting, singing, and picking up men. She has a daughter along the way somewhere in Europe that she promptly neglects in favor of high society life in America. She's a real winner; kind of the Brittany Spears of the '20s. One of her many boyfriends in the movie is played by Robert Reed, the dad on the Brady Bunch!

Julie Andrews gets some big musical numbers which is always fun, though the concept for some of them is inexplicable. I'm not sure if these were actual numbers that Gertrude performed (doubt it), or if they were made for the movie, but some of them are a little strange, to say the least. One of them involves acrobats. But I like the song.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this movie. I learned Gertrude Lawrence was kind of a depressing individual; her life basically consisted of success in show business, and failure in pretty much every other area of life. But the musical numbers were pretty entertaining and Julie Andrews is in it. I kind of want to watch it again.

No comments: