Saturday, October 13, 2007

Classic Halloween

I have to admit, I love old scary movies. I love them because they're scary enough for me to be temporarily freaked out, but not scary enough for me to have nightmares. I can't watch the new scary movies, they're too much.

I was pleased to find out that AMC will be showing Hitchcock Movies all day next Saturday. I was planning to watch Psycho with some friends for Halloween, but I'm guessing I won't be able to resist watching it next Saturday either. Can one watch Psycho twice in a week? The answer is yes. AMC is also running "Monsterfest" the week before Halloween, but I'm not sure if I'd classify most of their scheduled movies as classics, which is why I don't like AMC!

TCM is showing Classic Horror Directors every friday. I haven't really seen any of the scheduled films, so I can't say whether or not they're worth a watch. Last night, I watched 13 Ghosts and I got kind of bored. But really you can't go wrong with a corny scary movie. They're also featuring Boris Karloff this month. I've always been fascinated by him even though the only movie of his I've ever seen is Frankenstein which, strangely, they aren't showing.

Ok, now for my person favorite old scary movies:

Psycho is probably my favorite. It's disturbing. I'm looking forward to showing it for Old Movie Night. I have lots of friends who haven't seen it.
Frankenstein, the Boris Karloff one, of course. This movie has been remade too many times. The original is the best. When I was maybe 10 or so I watched it at a friend's sleepover party and had nightmares. Luckily, I doesn't affect me quite as much these days. Hopefully.
—Basically anything with Vincent Price. I love that guy, I don't know why. He has a good line of incredibly corny, scary movies. House on Haunted Hill is one of my favorites, along with any of the Edgar Allen Poe based movies. They're over the top, but great! A few of them are on TCM this month. House of Wax is also enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to a corny scary movie-filled Halloween!

No comments: