Thursday, October 18, 2007

Deborah Kerr :(

Deborah Kerr died on Tuesday at age 86. I found out when I received the dreaded "TCM Schedule Change Alert" email. This email almost always means that someone has died and they're going to show some of their movies in the next few days. Sure enough, TCM is going to be showing From Here to Eternity and Separate Tables on Sunday night. Hardly enough of a tribute, if you ask me.

A few years back, I went through a Deborah Kerr stage. I love her. She's so classy. She must have been Star of the Month on TCM at the time, because I have quite a few of her movies on tape; many of them are rather obscure.

Of course, I absolutely love An Affair to Remember. This may be my favorite Deborah Kerr movie and definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. Her and Cary Grant make a lovely couple and I kind of want to cry just thinking about it. Incidentally, Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr were in a much less popular picture a few years before this one called Dream Wife. It's a pretty cheesy movie, but I can't help but like it.

Here are some other Deborah Kerr favorites:


  • The King and I, of course. It's a little painful that her singing was dubbed, and slightly more painful that it was dubbed by Marni Nixon who dubbed for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady causing Eliza and Anna to basically sound the same and remind me of my bitterness. But I can look past that. Also the "Uncle Tom's Cabin" thing goes on waaaaay too long. Even still, it's a great movie!

  • Tea and Sympathy. This movie is interesting and slightly disturbing. Basically, Deborah Kerr is the wife of the headmaster of a boys' school and she feels bad for this one guy that's not as masculine as the others, and is made fun of as a result. She has a little too much sympathy, I'd say.

  • Beloved Infidel. Probably not the best movie, but Gregory Peck is in it and I really love him.

  • The Grass Is Greener. This movie is pretty silly, but entertaining none the less. Plus, Cary Grant is in it.

  • The Innocents. I haven't seen this is quite some time, but I think I need to rent it. It's a scary movie which is a little unusual for Deborah Kerr, but it's very well done.

  • Marriage on the Rocks. Ok, this movie is lame. But Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin are in it, and there are some funny moments.

And now, I will go home and watch An Affair to Remember.

No comments: