Monday, October 22, 2007

Hitchcock Weekend

'Tis the season! On Saturday, AMC ran a Hitchcock Marathon. It was good, but it would have been infinitely more enjoyable without the commercials, stupid AMC. I only watched two movies, but I hadn't seen either of them in some time.

Dial M for Murder was first. I really haven't seen this movie in years and I forgot most of the story. I definitely did not remember how complicated the end was. Not as complicated as Vertigo, but close. Anyway, great movie! Pretty typical Hitchcock fare; a bit of suspense in the beginning followed by lots of detective work and some crazy explanation at the end. I have to say, even now I'm not sure I could tell you exactly what happens and how they figure everything out. That's what makes it great. You can watch it over and over again and always find something new.


Rear Window was next. This has always been one of my favorite Hitchcock films despite the fact that, as my roommate so astutely pointed out, nothing actually happens. It really should be the most boring movie ever. You sit there, watching bits and pieces of random peoples' lives across the courtyard without any kind of concrete story surrounding any of them. There isn't even much of a story regarding the main characters. Jimmy Stewart broke is leg and he thinks Grace Kelly is too good for him. To top it off, the ending is really pretty boring, with no shock or twist or anything. Nevertheless, I love it! I don't know why. Maybe it touches close to home. Are we all secretly waiting for our neighbors to do something suspicious so we can speculate about them? I know I am. Also, I'm a little bit in love with Jimmy Stewart.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I found Lifeboat at Target for $10. It was a collectors edition, which means it had a nice slipcase. I haven't watched it yet. Have you seen it? It's based on a story by John Steinbeck. Aren't you proud of me?